Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My First Quilt


Good Morning!
I decided this  year's Christmas gifts would be handmade. I am making some gifts for family memebrs, and I asked for some requests. Nothing specific, but one of my family members asked for a pink & blue blanket. After some debate on how to make pink and blue work together on a blanket, I decided to try a values quilt! I have 2 quilt blocks made so far, and considering I don't have a quilter's square or any quilting "tools" (aside from a sewing machine) I think they came out pretty nice! I decided I'm going to alternate between the pink/blue blocks and I have a separate fabric that is calico (pink with blue flowers). I think it should tie it all together nicely. The hand embroidery project I'm working on will hopefully be the centerpiece in the blanket, if I can get it to work out the way I'd like.

The longest part about making the quilt so far is cutting out the squares. Once I have a bunch of little squares cut up, it seems pretty quick to sew them together to make a 2 toned square. Each block only took me about 20-30 minutes to sew together (just piecing the 2 toned squares together). I think I'm going to need about 10 of these blocks. Well, I should get back to work! If anyone has any tips on quilting without the tools or even just quilting in general, please feel free to share!

Happy Blogging and Happy December.

(By the way, today is my son's 4th birthday!! XD)

P.S.  Here are some pictures of the blocks...


No comments:

Post a Comment