Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

It's been a while

Good evening!

It's been a little while since I've posted. I've had a few things going on as of late. I have picked up a new hobby. I started crocheting. I really wanted to learn to knit first, but since money is usually an issue around our household, I didn't want to buy any knitting supplies. I happened to be going through an old box of mine from before I came in the Navy and found a crochet starter set my Nana had given me in high school. It took me 6 years, but I finally put it to use. :0)

I started on a blanket, a simple single chain afghan in white. I am restricted to the colors white and brown at the moment because that is what I had laying around. I'm really enjoying the crocheting so far. I think once I get my experience in and feel comfortable with crochet, I may learn to knit. I haven't done much with sewing recently, since I haven't bought any fabric since before Christmas. I finished the quilt I was making! ...but I forgot to get a picture of the finished result before giving it to its receipient. I will get a picture and update it soon. My next sewing endeavor will probably be an advent calendar. (I know, Christmas is passed, but there will be another one!) The only reason it is at the top of my priority list is that someone in my husband's family took time out of her schedule to write up a pattern and draw up some stencils for me to make this advent calendar. She even used her cricut machine to cut out the small pieces and numbers for me! She's so sweet. Then, it will be on to making baby gifts, since I have 2 friends and a cousin pregnant at the moment.

Anyway, moving on... The thing that has taken up most of my thoughts lately is my 7 month old son. When I brought him in for a routine check up a few weeks before his 6 month well baby exam, I was informed he was dangerously close to underweight. He was born at 9 lbs 2 oz and quickly grew to 14 lbs by the time he was 2 months old, but then all of a sudden he stopped gaining weight. The doctor immediately seemed very agressive and informed me, "If he hasn't gained weight by his 6 month well baby, we will have some issues". I felt very threatened, and it made me feel horrible! I came home crying because I felt like a horrible mother. I didn't understand, I nursed him whenever he was fussy and nothing else worked, even if it wasn't time for him to eat! My husband said when we got the chance we would switch doctors, because he didn't believe it was right that our pediatrician automatically blamed us.

The next day, I went to the hospital where I gave birth to my son to see the lactation consultants. I was confronted by a pediatrician who heard what was going on. I immediately became defensive because I was afraid she would blame me too. It turned out that this doctor was very understanding. She asked me if the clinic I went to was further than the hospital. I said yes, but I really don't think it is. She asked how I'd feel about her taking my son into her clinic. I informed her that I had been trying to get both of my sons into the pediatricians at the hospital, but I was told it was full. The doctor handed me some papers and said "I'm inviting you to have your sons seen with me. It doesn't matter how full the clinic here is." I was so grateful, and to think she didn't even know I was about to try to switch doctors! I felt like I was in a lot of luck. We scheduled an appointment for the next available date they had. The doctor told me to feed him as much baby food as he would eat and nurse him as much as possible. I did what I was told, but at his appointment, he had gained less than a lb in 2 weeks. They were still worried so scheduled another appointment for yesterday. I brought my son in and he has only gained a half a lb in 2 weeks. I'm very worried. I didn't want to go to formula, but of course I would rather my son eat formula than be unhealthy. The doctor scheduled an appointment for the 26th and said if he hasn' gained weight by then, after seeing a nutritionist and other instructions, he will be hospitalized overnight so they can observe his eating habits and do labs to determine if it is his eating habits or his body that is causing this. I am very nervous. I feel like a bad mother. In the time between now and the 26th I plan on giving him an oz of formula after every feeding, which is what was suggested by my doctor. I'm hoping he doesn't have to be hospitalized.

 Anyway... speaking of which, my son is just waking up from a nap. I have to feed him and get ready for work since I have the 8 pm to 2 am shift! Thanks for reading. Happy crafting!

Michelle*

No comments:

Post a Comment